Sport Premium grant
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150m for physical education (PE) and sport. The Sport Premium grant funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision. This funding is ring-fenced to be used for sport-specific areas, to make an impact in PE and sport in schools.
Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
The impact of the funding in 2017-2018 included:
- Upskilling teachers and support staff
- Team teaching
- Pupils more engaged with sports and healthy lifestyles
- Opportunities for all year groups to compete in inter-schools competitions
- Wider participation of children in games at lunchtimes
- Midday supervisors have a greater confidence in playing playground games
Our 2018-2019 plans for the funding
We will use the funding in the following areas:
- Playground equipment
- Sports resources linking to other curriculum areas
- Swimming lessons
- Visiting coaches in a variety of sporting disciplines
- Staff to lead after school and lunchtime clubs
We will also use this funding to employ a par- time, specialist PE coach to develop staff knowledge and the quality of PE lessons.
For a detailed breakdown of how we will use the funding, see the document below:
WPA – Sports premium impact report 2018-19
WPA – Sports premium funding 2018-2019